As a Master’s of Taxation graduate, you have a lot of career options in front of you. While many of your opportunities will come in the area of tax or finance, it may be possible to find work outside of your field as well. However, what are some of the more common job paths taken by those who acquire such a degree?

Resource: Top 40 Values in Master of Taxation Degree Programs 2016

Work for a State or Federal Tax Agency

Thanks to your knowledge of tax law and other tax information, you may be a perfect fit for the IRS or state tax agencies. You can interview citizens and business owners to clarify any vague or missing information on a tax return. When done properly, you can recover billions of dollars in revenue for the government without doing anything to infringe on the rights of those who aren’t doing anything wrong.

Work as a Tax Consultant

There are millions of people who have questions about their taxes. Whether they need help getting started on a routine return or want to have questions about their Schedule C answered, you could be the person they turn to for help. By providing clear and timely information, you could prevent someone from making a mistake on a return or applying for a credit or refund they didn’t know about previously.

Write a Book or Maintain a Blog About the Subject

To be a successful writer, you need to have experience and authority in your field. With a Master’s of Taxation degree, you will have just what you need to succeed. Your book or blog could be a marketing tool to find clients who have questions about their taxes or help those who may be under investigation with the IRS. If you are good at communicating your message, you could find a job as a taxpayer advocate or be a leader in United States tax reform efforts.

Become an Enrolled Agent With the IRS

An enrolled agent can do more than just answer questions that taxpayers may have or consult with companies regarding their taxes. Instead, an enrolled agent can actually represent taxpayers in cases involving the IRS. They will have passed courses created by the government and have proven their understanding of tax law. This can be a lucrative career path as there are always those contesting an IRS decision.

Work as an Accountant or CPA

You may be able to combine your undergraduate degree with your master’s to either work as an accountant for another company or offer your services on a freelance basis. Depending on how much experience you have, you may be in the running to become a CFO for a major company or work as an auditor for corporate or government entities.

Graduating with a Master’s of Taxation degree means that you have increased the odds of finding meaningful and long-term employment. In some cases, you may even be able to work for yourself or use your knowledge and experience to educate others. Whatever you do, make sure that you plan ahead of time to find work that pays your bills or find scholarships and grants to help you pay off your loans before your graduate.